Student visa

Students and AECC Programmes Staff Member

Applying for a visa

For information and guidance on how to apply for a visa please visit the UKVI website:

Further information and guidance is also provided by UKCISA at:


Documents needed for successful visa application

  • CAS (Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies) statement. This is provided by the AECC and will be issued within 3 months prior to the start of the course once you have firmly accepted an unconditional offer. You will need the CAS number listed on the statement to apply for your visa
  • All original qualification documents as listed in the CAS statement. This could, for example, be an undergraduate degree certificate or more likely, be your A-level equivalent qualifications
  • Official certified translations of your qualifications if those qualifications are not in English. The translation must include: details of the translation company, confirmation that it is an accurate translation of the original,a date and the original signature of the translator
  • Original bank statements that demonstrate that you meet the maintenance requirements as mentioned below
  • English Language Test Certificate listed on your CAS - This will be your IELTS certificate unless you are applying from a country that is exempt from the English Language test requirements
  • TB Clearance certificate (if you are applying from a country where this is required)
  • You must show you have had the funds in your bank account or your parents' bank account for at least 28 consecutive days before you apply. If you want to use your parents' bank statements as evidence of funds you also need to submit your original birth certificate as evidence of your relationship to your parent (and a translation if it is not in English), a letter of consent from your parent and your parent's original bank statements. If you are applying with a joint account that you hold with your parents, then a birth certificate, translation and letter of consent are not required
  • A passport photograph that meets the UKVI requirements


English language requirements

You must demonstrate you are CEFR level B2 English language competent by providing a recent secure English language test (SELT) from one of the UKVI's approved test providers. You must have achieved an overall IELTS score of 6.0 with no less than 5.5 in all four components (unless a test provider exempts you from sitting a component because of a disability). The list of UKVI approved English language tests is located here.

All students requiring a student visa to study at the AECC will need to undertake an IELTS exam unless you are a national of a majority English-speaking country or have completed an academic qualification considered to be equivalent to a UK degree, as listed on page 36 of the Tier-4 Policy guidance.


Maintenance requirements

The maintenance requirements for Tier 4 students living outside of London are £1,015 per month. If you are a new student you will be expected to show the funds for the first year's tuition fees plus £9,135 for living expenses in your bank account for 28 days before you make your application. For students starting in 2016, this would be a total of (£9,135 + £13,742) = £22,877



Ensure that you have a valid passport. If you need to get a new one or if your current passport needs to be revalidated, do this as soon as possible because the process can take several months. You must have at least one page that is blank on both sides in your passport and we recommend that your passport needs to be valid for at least 6 months after your arrival in the UK. If you are not living in your own country, please check with your Embassy whether you need to return to your home country to get a new passport.


Tuberculosis (TB) Clearance Certificate

Applicants from certain countries are required to obtain a certificate confirming that they are free from tuberculosis. This will be needed when applying for a tier-4 student visa and for more information about this please click here. You will not need a TB clearance certificate if you've been living for at least six months in a country where TB screening is not required by the UK, and you've been away from that country for at least six months.


NHS Surcharge

For each year that you intend to study in the UK, you will have to pay £150 per year to entitle you to healthcare under the National Health Service. For the majority of students starting at the AECC, this will be either 4 or 5 years meaning you will need to pay £600 or £750 respectively. This total figure must be paid in full in advance of your visa application. More information about this can be found here.


Credibility Interviews outside the UK

As part of the Tier 4 application process UKVI could invite you to attend a credibility interview. Please check with your local Visa Application Centre (VAC) for more information.

The interviews are carried out at the visa application centre as part of the appointment where you provide your biometrics (fingerprints). If you are asked to attend an interview you will need to speak to a UKVI officer based in the UK via Skype.  The officer will ask you questions on the following areas:

 - why you decided to study in the UK

 - what made you choose the AECC

 - the reasons for selecting your course

A report of the interview will be sent to the visa officer who is considering your Tier 4 application.  This officer will consider this report along with the supporting documents you submit with your Tier 4 application when they make a decision to grant your Tier 4 visa.


Visa processing times

Current average visa processing times can be viewed here: Please be aware that during particularly busy times of the year these times may be longer than usual.


Change to Tier 4 application process

If your student visa application is successful, you will be issued with a single entry visa that is valid for travel to the UK and a stay of 30 days from the date that you have informed UKVI that you will arrive in the UK. On arrival in the UK you must collect your Biometric Residence Permit (BRP) containing your immigration permission (visa) from the nominated Post Office specified within your visa decision letter, within 10 days. Read pages 5 - 9 of the UKVI guidance for more information.


Length of study covered by a visa

The maximum length of time that can be spent studying at or above degree level, according to the Home Office guidelines, is five years. This is unless the strict application of the five-year time limit would prevent you from completing a fifth academic year at degree level or above as listed in point 113. 2) of the Tier-4 Policy Guidance. As the MChiro programme is normally a 5-year programme and the AECC is listed as a HEI on the UKVI list of sponsors, the maximum length of time that a student entering the programme has to complete it, is 5 years and 11 months. As a result, students who enter year of the MChiro programme must be aware that the failure to pass each year successfully at the first attempt, will lead to not being able to complete the MChiro programme within the allowed time period.




Anglo-European College of Chiropractic